Thursday, May 29, 2014

Instant Mango Jam

Mangoes are saying adieu to us. I wanted to make something different before they vanish. Just then my dear friend Priya came up with this interesting recipe of Instant Mango Jam, that she adapted from here. I could not resist myself and hence prepared it immediately. What attracted me to this recipe was that it had no preservatives. The improvisation I made was that I added a pinch of salt while preparing the mango mixture. Do try it and Enjoy!!



Ingredients:

Mangoes (I used Badami)- 2 nos chopped
Sugar - 1/4 cup
Lemon juice - 1 tbsp
Lemon zest - 1/2 tsp ( I used zest of orange)
Salt - A pinch

Method:
  • Wash peel and chop mangoes.
  • Take a deep bottomed pan add the chopped mango pieces, sugar, salt and lemon juice, mix well and keep it aside for 10- 15 minutes.
  • This brings out the flavour of the mangoes.
  • Switch on the flame and keep cooking the mango mixture on a medium flame.
  • Add the lemon zest too.
  • Keep stirring, care should be taken not to burn it.
  • It will slowly get a shiny and a greasy texture.
  • Once it starts thickening, switch off the flame
  • Allow it to cool.
  • Store in airtight containers.
  • Use a dry spoon while serving.


Note:
  • Adjust the sugar according to the sweetness of the mango.
  • Do not alter the quantity of lemon juice or zest for the above propotion.
Enjoy Cooking!!


2 comments :